Thursday, May 8, 2014

DOstampers STARS Thursday Challenge #081 and Minnesota's Fishing Opener

What do DOstampers STARS Thursday Challenge and Minnesota's Fishing Opener have in common?  To me, they're all about the fish!

Many of the men in my family are fisherman and they have birthdays in the next couple of months. So what does a girl who can't fish do?  She stamps fish cards for the fishermen in her life...of course!

This week's challenge was a color challenge.  Here are the colors suggested:


I pulled out my By The Tide stamp set and started to come up with ideas.   Using Whisper White card stock I sponged Midnight Muse, creating the water.  I stamped the plant out of Cherry Cobbler and decided to use Daffodil Delight (I didn't have Crushed Curry; but if you have it I'm sure it'll look marvelous) for the fish.  I wanted to make the fish appear shiny so I "double dipped" by loading the stamp with Versa Mark first, then Daffodil Delight Ink, stamped the image and embossed with Clear Embossing Powder.  

While looking at the fantastic results, I thought of my upline, Dawn Olchefske.  Dawn and her husband are currently on a cruise that she won thru Stampin' Up!. Yay Dawn!!!  I was thinking of how much fun she must be having and hoping that her cabin had a deck or at least a porthole....and voila!!!  I knew how I was going to finish this card.

I used the Hardwood stamp for the background which I stamped with Crumb Cake on Crumb Cake card stock.   For the porthole,  I used the Circles Collection Framelits (circles 5 and 7 from the center) and embellished with small antique brads.   The sentiment comes from the ever popular Teeny Tiny Wishes punched with the Word Window punch and layered on top of Modern Label punch.  To add a small, little extra something I wrapped Linen Thread twice around the card fold and tied a simple knot.

Here is my card:  

and a closeup of the "double dipping" stamping technique:


I hope you enjoyed this week's challenge and if you're a fisherman's widow this weekend, please give Stampin' Up! a try....you just might get hooked.  LOL :)

Who knows, you could even be the next Stampin' Up! demo to win a dream vacation!

If you have any questions, give me a call.  I would love to help you.

Here are my fellow STARS' entries to this week's challenge:

Heidi Vinkemeier's Petite Petals Card

Sharon Bennett's Pssst I Love You Card

Cindy Techlin's Color My World Blue Card

Miriam Bollinger's Pleasant Poppies Card

Connie Plaumann's Hamburger Box

Robyn Rasset's Masculine All Occasion Card












kadnil59@gmail.com










5 comments:

  1. I absolutely love your porthole!! Such a cute idea. Maybe next year you can be looking out of that porthole at the island of Hawaii! So creative!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Linda, this is very very cute! Super imagination...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Saw your link on Dawn's blog. LOVE this card! Great way to frame/present your scene like one is looking through a porthole. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the sheen on that card! It screams 'port hole' to me, a memory of a thousand leagues under the sea. Lovely!
    ~Anne

    ReplyDelete